Barloo was established in 1966, based on Collinsville and Mianelup lines. In 1979 Fred bought a ram, JC &S 20 from Collinsville for $40,000. It had a major impact on the direction of the stud. The first progeny of that ram sold to South Africa for $44,000, whilst the second sold for $33,000. Over the period since then, Barloo has introduced Monarch semen and, in the mid-1980s, went on to purchase Wonga genetics. This cross would go on to form the renowned Dominator family. In the mid-1990s, the Charinga genetics were introduced, and this became the base for the current Barloo genetics.
The House’s connection to the land began in 1891, when Dr Frederick Maurice House and his brother Monty House starting a farm, “Privett”, in 1906 in the Gnowangerup region. In 1988, Fred House purchased the historic Telyarup Homestead from Neil Garnett, son of Glen Garnett, previous owner of the “Glenroy” Sheep Stud. Fred had long had a connection with the property, with his mother, Margaret House (nee Timms) living at ‘Telyarup’ as a child before marrying Dudley House, Fred’s father, in the Telyarup Chapel in 1930.
Richard, son of Fred and Pauline, now manages the Barloo Merino Stud from Telyarup Homestead, where he lives with his wife Cindy and their three children.